In this case, there are two possible scenarios – the presence or absence of airflow. If the air conditioner works but does not cool, first check what temperature is set in the automatic settings and try to manually change the mode (often heating is activated when the system fails – voltage drop, power outage, etc.)
Possible breakdowns and possible ways to fix them:
- Contamination of system elements. In the indoor unit, these are filters. In the outdoor unit – the radiator is. They should be cleaned.
- Low mains voltage (lack of power). In most cases, it is not solved locally. You can try to increase the temperature indicator (set the average value) or install a “stabilizer”.
- Freon leakage. This is one of the most common reasons why the air conditioner does not cool but works like a fan. It is necessary to add refrigerant to the appropriate level and check the integrity of all internal elements.
- Clogged capillary pipeline. It occurs due to the lack of preventive maintenance. It is solved by cleaning.
- Compressor malfunction. Repair or complete replacement of the unit is carried out.
- The temperature sensor or thermistor is broken. These modules are also repaired or replaced.
- The outdoor air conditioner unit and fan do not work. Check and, if necessary, reset the voltage in the capacitor and contactor. Also, make sure that the unit is receiving power.
- Failure of the control board in the indoor unit. This category includes the starting relay. Elements are repaired or replaced, if possible.
Important! Do not neglect safety rules when working with electrical equipment. Perform all voltage measurements with a multimeter.
Don’t delay your air conditioner repair. Do not forget that repairing is much easier and cheaper immediately after a breakdown occurs. If your air conditioner is working, but making strange noises or not cooling the room enough, it means it’s time to contact the technicians.
Don’t wait until the air conditioner is completely out of order. In the case of untimely repairs, there is a very high possibility that a long complex repair will be required. Even a few days without air conditioning in the summer heat in San Diego County, CA will bring great discomfort to the whole family. But by calling the masters from SDAC Heating & Air Conditioning you can avoid this problem.