The air conditioner creates a pleasant coolness in the house, but at the same time, it can create serious discomfort associated with high noise during the operation of the device. Normal functioning equipment works almost silently. Any crackling, vibration and other atypical sounds occurring during the operation of climate systems can indicate the presence of malfunctions. Such a sign cannot be left unattended, which can lead to even more serious breakdowns, fraught with costly repairs.
In this article, we will consider what makes the air conditioner hum, what are the norms of acceptable sound impact, the main causes of loud sounds, and how to eliminate them.
Noise level norms of air conditioner
The noise level of the climatic equipment in the process of work is normalized by the existing sanitary norms.
Permissible noise level:
in daytime operation – 40 dBa;
In night mode (from 23.00 to 7.00) – 30 dBa.
Not everyone has a special device to measure noise in the room. In order to understand if a running air conditioner exceeds the norms you can compare it with the sound level of mechanical watches because it is about 30 dBa, or with usual conversations of people, where the noise level is 40 dBa.
What are the reasons for the hum of the outside air conditioner unit?
A loud hum when the air conditioner is working can occur in the outdoor unit, which is located on the street side. Let’s consider the main causes of its occurrence.
Causes of the hum of the external unit:
1. a worn compressor. The service life of the compressor is up to 15 years. If it has failed, you will need to replace it. It is better to entrust this work to an experienced technician.
2. The oil in the compressor crankcase has run out. This problem can be easily solved by adding oil to the refrigeration circuit.
3. The vibration isolation mounts are loose. It is better to replace these parts, that will allow reducing noise level noticeably.
4. The protective grid is badly fixed. In this case, you need to check the quality of fixing and fixing the problems.
5. Unbalanced fan blades. This problem usually occurs because the blades are dirty. Quality cleaning with the use of detergents or cleaning agents will get rid of the loud hum of the air conditioner.
6. A large layer of ice has formed in the outdoor unit. To eliminate the noise, it is necessary to clean the unit from the formed ice.
7. If the loud vibrating transformer is heard, it is necessary to tighten its fixing elements or shorten the protruding spring, which is a fixing element.
If you cannot identify and fix the problem of loud noise coming from the outdoor unit yourself, you need to call the professionals at SDAC Heating & Air Conditioning.
Why is the indoor air conditioner unit noisy
Some owners notice a lot of noise in the indoor unit of a split unit. There may be several reasons for this malfunction. Let’s consider this in more detail.
Causes of noise in the internal unit:
1. Strong low-frequency sound that occurs even when the air conditioner is turned off. The problem lies in transformer malfunction. As a rule, such a malfunction can be eliminated only by replacing the failure mechanism.
2. Fan noise can be caused by insufficient lubrication of the bearings, frost formation, or deformation of some parts of the construction. If the problem is with the bearings, they should be lubricated or replaced. The ice formed by the fan blades should be removed. And if the noise is caused by the deformation of fan parts, they need to be replaced.
3. If the drain pump is noisy when turned on, the pump should be cleaned or replaced.
4. Dirt can be the cause of vibration and imbalance of the ventilator. In this case, you need to clean the fan blades of dirt.
How to get rid of the air conditioner noise
The way to eliminate noise when running the air conditioner is determined depending on the cause of its occurrence. Consider the most common malfunctions that cause atypical sounds, and how to get rid of them.
How to get rid of noise:
1. A crackling noise is heard when the air conditioner is operating. It can be caused by the thermal expansion of the casing under the influence of temperature. This problem is often short-lived and does not require attention.
2. crackling noise occurs when the compressor fails or when the fan impeller is damaged. In both cases, the damaged parts must be replaced.
3. Knocking at switching on the split system. Occurs at the loosened fixing of components. It is necessary to check these parts in case of need to tighten.
4. Vibration with increasing amplitude. This a very serious problem, requiring immediate solution. The cause of the malfunction may be a faulty compressor, unbalanced motor, or fan drive. This can only be corrected by a professional technician.
5. Vibration during the operation of the air conditioner can also occur due to improper installation of the unit. In this case, it must be dismantled and reinstalled.
6. If you can hear hissing sounds when turning on, it is necessary to check the freon line pipes, as the cause of the noise can be refrigerant leakage or broken pipes. It is better to entrust the repair work to professionals.
The strong noise that occurs during the operation of the air conditioner should not be left unnoticed. Small equipment malfunctions, manifested by sound effects, can be easily eliminated. The timely repair will allow avoiding more serious damages entailing large expenses or complete replacement of the climatic equipment.
Do not wait until your air conditioner is out of order. If it is not repaired promptly, there is a high probability that you will need a long comprehensive repair. Even a few days without an air conditioner during the summer rush in San Diego County, California, is very uncomfortable for the whole family. But by calling the service technicians at SDAC Heating & Air Conditioning, you can avoid this problem.